Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wow!!! I can't believe it has been a whole week since I wrote in here last. I have been pretty busy this week with lots of different stuff. I had to get busy and send out a couple of packages, one to the east coast and one to the west coast area. The east coast one was a group of fat 1/8 fabrics for an online swap, and those were received. The one for the west coast is some Barbie doll quilts that are to be used for birthday gifts for a lovely set of twin girls, who's grandma is a sweet lady who comes in to chat in the room I monitor. I had fun making those little quilts, and even tho it was still quilting, they went very fast and I enjoyed the little break from my "have to" stuff. Thanks, Alexandra for letting me help!

The weather here has been just plain frigid, so I stayed home most of the time, and just stayed in my cave and worked on quilting stuff, so I feel like I have accomplished a lot this week, even if it doesn't look like it.

On Tuesday, I was doing something in my wallet, and happened to notice that my drivers license had expired last month, so it was a rush trip to the courthouse, about 25 miles away, to get that taken care of. Had no problem and have an official picture of me with almost hair! LOL Got just enough up there to make a shadow in the picture on the license, so if I ever get stopped and the law looks at my picture, not sure they will believe it is me. I just think that is so funny!

Wednesday I did my opping duties for the regular 3 hours in the chatroom, then worked on the wedding quilt for a while in the afternoon. We decided to go up to Rake for the chicken strip baskets for our supper, so got to chat with some friends from town while there. This little bar has a special on Wednesday nights of baskets for $2.oo each. Pretty good food, and very good price, so we go there when the weather is good enough. I usually choose the chicken strips and the potato wedges, but they have shrimp, fried fish filets, hamburgers, chicken breast sandwiches, and occasionally a hot ham and cheese sandwich. We also order and share an basket of onion rings. Makes for a decent meal, even without anything green.

On Thursday, I had to go to Mason City, to the hospital, for my mammogram. Have not gotten word of the results so far, but will let you know what it is. We did a bit of shopping at Fleet Farm, so now we can plant our garden again this year with all new seeds. We went to the Bonanza restaurant, for a lunch buffet, which was very good again, and only had to pay $5.00 per person, which is cheap for there. Our friend Edna went along for the ride and a bit of grocery shopping at Aldi's. Got back home about 5 to find emails on the computer telling us we were going to be getting company the end of this week. After we had a quick supper of soup, I had to head for quilt guild. Took my feather weight machine for sewing, but after I got her all set up and ready to stitch, I did not sew at all. The ladies asked me to lay out some of the charity blocks we have made, and then wanted to know if I would take the blocks home and sew them together. Of course I did that, knowing it will stretch me something awful this month. I actually brought home 2 sets of blocks to turn into tops. When I get them done, they will go back for finishing at another meeting, so the sewing part is not so difficult for me to do.

Yesterday I just worked on the wedding quilt, and also the Turning 20 quilt that came back from the long-arm quilter. That needs to be completed by next Friday, as it is to be a birthday gift for the lady who watches our house when we go to Arkansas in the spring. She is nutso for green, so this quilt is very, very, very green. I will put up a picture as soon as it is all done. That should happen tomorrow. I did more stitches on the wedding quilt today, and it is getting closer to being done, and I can hardly wait to see what the back of that one will look like. I already know what the top looks like, but the backs are always a surprise for me, but I refuse to cheat and look at the back while it is on the quilt frame. Maybe because I am not good at crawling around on the floor in my old age!! LOL

When our friends come on Thursday, we will first go out for supper, then back home. On Friday, I get to teach the wife how to make teddy bears and also how to paper piece. She will be taking that knowledge down to Mexico, where she and her hubby work at an orphanage they have adopted. She has been teaching the ladies in the area how to sew, so this is another thing for them to learn to make. I think they sell the stuff they sew, so they are happy to learn. They have already started making tote bags, and the bags look great. Will take some pics of the lessons on Friday, so they will be in here, too.

The husband gets to help Tom prune the apple trees, which is good to learn, as he also has apple trees but has no idea how to deal with them. Tom is a good teacher, so Jim will learn well!

On Monday, I have to go back to Mayo for my first check up after the cancer. Am a little concerned about that, but I am probably looking for trouble. I do have that lovely blue and white quilt to deliver to the cancer doctor, and will be doing that at about 2:30 in the afternoon. I have to have a blood draw, a chest x-ray, and a CT scan, before I get to see the doctor. Gonna be a busy day for me. We have to be there by 8:30 a.m., and we are 115 miles from that hospital, so we will have to leave before breakfast!

I am going on Tuesday this week, with Tom when he runs away from home again. He will be going to work on the steam engine again, and I get to spend "girl time" with a friend up in that area. She said we would be going shopping at resale shops and maybe the Goodwill store. She buys books, and I look for fabric for quilts. LOL We will make a great shopping team! We will have lunch out, then wait for Tom to get done with his fun, and head back home, hopefully to get here before I have to go to an online meeting at 8 p.m.

I am getting tired just thinking about all I have to do this month, but hope it will all work out ok. We are leaving for Arkansas in 36 days, and still have to get the stuff into the motorhome, which is a lot of work!! Oh, well, I keep saying that retirement and old age is not for wimps, it is a lot of hard work!!

On that note, I am going to bid you adieu, and say good night, too.

Quilty hugs,
Ele

No comments: